Polar Fire Ice Fishing Jacket & Bibs Review
Thanks to Tom Gruenwald and the staff of HT Enterprises, we had the opportunity to test two of the all New Polar Fire Ice Fishing Suits by HT. We had the perfect testing grounds for it, the Brainerd Ice Fishing Extravaganza on Gull Lake, Minnesota!
The Perfect Test Conditions started out fairly nice, 20° with little to no wind at 8 am. By 3 pm, the temperature dropped to 6° with winds between 11 & 33 mph and gusts up to 44 mph.
My USA Outdoors Official Review:
I normally wear shirt & jacket size in large, so I ordered an X-large suit. I wanted to have room to move around, more so when I am kneeling down next to a hole etc. so it would not be overly tight on me. The fit was perfect! This Ice Fishing Suit has inner fleece lining in the parka jacket, bibs and removable hood for comfort and warmth. Large zipper pulls are a huge benefit when you have those thicker gloves on! A long tail in the back of the parka and some reflective piping for night time safety are also included as a popular feature. The PolarTX Warmth Technology ECO-Down insulation did everything they claimed it will do. I never got too hot nor did I ever feel a bit cold. I was a comfortable warm temp all day!
Some other features on the parka that we have not seen in other suits that really stood out to us:
1. The inner snow/wind gator is removable if you prefer not to use it.
2. The zippers on the side of the jacket, allow you to create a little more room when you are wearing those extra layers.
3. The hand warmer fleece pockets are held in by Velcro, which makes them removable to wash when they get too fishy.
4. The inner wrist cuffs are an adjustable neoprene material. If you have to stick your hand in the hole to catch that large crappie that just came off the hook, water will not go past your wrist!
5. It has a large amount of fleece lined zippered deep pockets all over in the parka. Good for storing pretty much anything. I used them to hold my JVC video camera to keep it warm, as well as other items I wanted to have quick access too.
6. Fully sealed seams, lightweight.
I am a tall guy so I was worried about the bibs sliding up when I kneeled down. Not the case with these bibs. They are made to fit perfectly. The leg openings are extra wide to allow you to slip them on without taking off your boots. There are no storm gaiters or Velcro straps for you to get hung up on when putting the bibs on. The Polar Fire bibs have a 3 position snap system to tighten it up around your boots. They also have 2 fleece lined sipper pockets on the chest side. If you get ice buildup on the zippers, this zipper system breaks the ice when you need to unzip. And for a long day of ice fishing, they have a padded seat!
This Polar Fire Suit is the real deal! If you are looking for a suit for ice fishing or any other outdoor winter activity, this suit provides it all! Even when it got down to 6° with winds topping out at 44 mph, I stayed perfectly warm. Neither the wind nor the cold deterred me from fishing. A lot of contestants had to leave early as they were getting cold and could not stay warm with the typical snow suits. The Polar Fire Ice Fishing Suit helped keep me warm and comfortable on the ice and kept me in the contest!